Monday, November 28, 2005

The Teardown Begins


The first step of the project was deciding on a paint scheme. Rather than reproducing the stock paint (this is a restification after all), I decided to duplicate the paint layout used on the 1979 GS1000S Wes Cooley replica bike. The purists will hate it but I really like the look so that's what I'm doing. I decided to use Josh Hot Rods in Springfield, Ohio to do the paint. His work looks great, the price is very reasonable and he seems like a nice guy as well. We'll see how it turns out.

Tonight I pulled all the body work - tank, fender, tail and side panels. Once the tank airs out for a couple of days, I'll pack it all up and ship it off.

The next step is to strip everything down to the frame. A quick check after pulling the bodywork showed that the frame is in pretty good shape. No rust is apparent, just lots of grease and junk. Closer inspection will determine whether or not the frame needs to be powdercoated when the swingarm and triple tree are done.

1 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger BJ said...

Thanks for the most generous offer Hap. I may take you up on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home