Monday, December 19, 2005

Swingarm and Carbs

This weekend presented the first significant problem of the project - trying to get the swingarm bearings out. I borrowed a bearing puller from a local auto parts store but had a hard time figuring out how to position the puller to get enough leverage to get the bearings to move. I ended up using my motorcycle jack to hold the swing arm in an upright position and an old brake disk as a platform for the puller's arms. Even with this very stable and sturdy setup the bearings didn't want to come out. I had to use a propane torch to heat the swingarm so it would expand. I was finally successful but the bearings were totally destroyed in the process, coming out in pieces - little needles everywhere.

Anyway, everythings now ready for powdercoating. If anyone has any recommendation about a good powdercoater in the Baltimore area, please let me know.

I also started the rebuild of the carbs. Tearing them down was pretty easy and held no unpleasant surpises. Some hand cleaning with spray carb cleaner and a stiff nylon brush before a 30 minute soaking in Berryman B-9 Chem-Dip produced a nice clean carb body. A hour or so of polishing produces a very nice shine. I used Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream, a Dremel, an Oral-B battery powered toothbrush, Q-Tips, a bag of cotton rags and lots of patience. Two down and two to go. Once that's done, thecarbs will go back together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home