Monday, March 20, 2006

It's Alive!

After almost 4 months of work, it's alive! Over the last couple of weeks everything was reassembled, installed, checked and rechecked. I was apprehensive since this is my first frame-off of any kind but after installing the battery, the engine fired right up. I adjusted and synced the carbs and everything looked good. That is until I looked under the engine - oil pouring out of the oil filter cover. Yikes!

Turns out it wasn't that bad. I'd just pinched the new oil filter cover o-ring. Reinstalled the old o-ring and all was well. Nothing else appeared to be messed up so Saturday I got the bike ready for a shakedown run by hooking up the gauages, installing the stainless brake lines, bleeding both ends and installing the 530 sprocket/chain conversion package. No problems except trying to get the %^#*!@ master link done. I ended up doing it on my workbench and pulling the swingarm to get the chain on! That's what happens when you don't have the right tools. I should've just bought a $9.95 link press. Live and learn.

So now that everything was assembled, the test ride began. Again the bike started right up and off I went. It seemed to pull a bit stronger than last time I rode it but it's been 4 months so maybe it was my imagination. The pods are definately louder that the stock air box, that's for sure. I didn't ride far, jast a few miles to the nearest gas station for a fill up, but it sure felt good despite the 45 degree temperature.

When I got back to the garage a quick walkaround revealed a small oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket. Oh well, it wouldn't be any fun if everything was easy. Now I've got something else to work on this weekend. I've still got a lot of cleaning and polishing to do as well but I really do enjoy working on the bike almost as much as riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home